After the disappointment of the Lotus Exige S with the JPS livery I have decided that I want to try and find a ‘special’ Exige. After some research I found out that in 2014 Lotus launched a special edition Exige of 81 cars, called the LF1. Each of the 81 limited edition cars sequentially celebrated a specific Grand Prix from car #1 commemorating Lotus’ first GP victory at Monaco in 1960 to car #81 marking Kimi Raikkonen’s win at Australia in 2013. The cars would be sold across the world with the USA being supplied cars that could only be used on track.
Of the 81 Lotus Exige S LF1 cars, 36 or so had been allocated to the UK. Dealers would request the cars and could even ask for a specific car number, they would then sell them on to customers.
The exterior of the car was painted in Motorsport Black that had a gold flake in the paint. Additionally there was a bespoke black and gold livery with red accents to the front splitter, wing mirrors and rear spoiler and exterior badges incorporating the ‘LF1’ logo. The black and gold ‘Lotus’ nose badge and wheel centres were also exclusive to the car. The finishing touch was the matt gold wheels.
Inside the LF1 was a custom interior trimmed in leather and technical fabric featuring the black and gold design with gold contrast piping and stitching details. The ‘LF1’ logo was embroidered into the floor mats and headrests, and the Lotus F1 Team logo was on the seat backs.
Each car will be individually numbered with its own limited edition carbon fibre build plate and the car was loaded with extras such as the Exige Race Pack with Dynamic Performance Management system, two-piece high performance brake discs and high-performance Pirelli P-Zero Trofeo tyres. There were three additional options that could be added to optimise the Exige LF1, the Convenience Pack, heated seats and rear parking sensors.
Additional incentives included a range of Lotus LF1 gifts and memorabilia present in a gift box and tours of Lotus cars and the Lotos F1 Team factories.
This was just what I was after, a special car made even more special. So the hunt is on to try and find one of the very rare Lotus Exige LF1’s.
The full specification:
- Bespoke black and gold livery with red accents
- Bespoke exterior badges incorporating ‘LF1’ logo
- Exclusive black and gold ‘Lotus’ nose badge and wheel centres
- Pirelli P-Zero Trofeo tyres
- Two-piece high performance brake discs
- Matt gold 5-spoke 17″/18″ cast alloy wheels
- Red brake calipers
- Pirelli P-Zero Trofeo tyres
- Bespoke trim in leather and technical fabric featuring black and gold design with gold contrast piping and stitching details
- Embroidered ‘LF1’ logos on headrests and floor mats
- Embroidered ‘Lotus F1 Team’ logo on seat backs
- Individually numbered limited edition carbon fibre build plate
- Bespoke carbon fibre engine plate
- Air conditioning
- Race Pack
- Convenience Pack
- Heated seats
- Rear parking sensors
The Lotus Exige LF1 special edition comes with the following Formula 1 package within the purchase price of the car:
- A factory tour for two people of the Lotus Cars production facility at Hethel
- A factory tour for two people of the Lotus F1 Team headquarters at Enstone
- Collector’s edition owner’s pack including Exige LF1 membership card entitling members to 20% discount on Lotus Originals and Heritage ranges and 10% off Lotus F1 Team Replica collection
- Romain Grosjean 1:2 scale replica helmet
- Lotus F1 car key fob
- Lotus F1 Team USB stick
- Maximum power 345 hp (350 PS) at 7,000 rpm
- Maximum torque 295 lbft (400 Nm) at 4,500 rpm
- 0-60 mph in 3.8 seconds
- 0-100 km/h in 4.0 seconds
- Maximum speed is 170 mph (274 km/h)
- Weight 1,176 kg