After deciding that my next car will be a Mercedes AMG GTS, I need to find the right one. Mercedes-Benz Milton Keynes had three for sale, so I took a drive down to the dealership. They had Solarbeam Yellow, Brilliant Blue and Black GTS’s, but none of them met my requirements as far as additional options and colour.
After some further research, I established that when Mercedes launched the AMG GT they also launched a limited-edition model called the Mercedes AMG GTS ‘Edition 1’. What made the Edition 1 so special is the additional features that came as standard with the car:
- Aerodynamic package in black, which comprised of a larger front splitter flics on the side of the air intakes of the front apron, wheel arch flics at the front, dynamic black trim on the side sill panels and a fixed rear aerofoil in black
- Carbon-fibre roof
- Night package, which consisted of diamond grille in black with louvre in high-gloss black, fins in the front wings in high-gloss black, exterior mirror housings in high-gloss black, trim strip in the diffuser insert in high-gloss black, triangular side windows and rear window in heat-insulating tinted glass, black tailpipe trim elements
- 10-spoke light-alloy wheels painted in black and with a high-sheen finish, 19” in size on the front and 20” on the rear
- Black nappa leather interior with red contrasting topstitching
- Performance seats with integral belt guide in black nappa leather/DINAMICA microfibre with red contrasting topstitching
- Interior Black Diamond package
- Performance steering wheel in DINAMICA microfibre with flattened bottom section, 12-o'clock marking, red contrasting topstitching, steering wheel bezel in silver chrome with "Edition 1" lettering and silver-coloured aluminium shift paddles
- Mirror package
- AMG door sills in Stainless steel, with illuminating AMG lettering
- Burmester surround sound
- Parktronic with reversing camera
- Blind spot assist
- Lane keeping assistant and Distronic Plus
There were a small number of additional items that could be specified including the car colour, different wheels, AMG DYNAMIC PLUS package and Carbon Ceramic Brakes.
In the UK there were 51 Edition 1 cars registered, I surmise that 50 were customer cars and 1 was to be kept by Mercedes-Benz UK as a press car. Most Edition 1 car adverts I have seen have quoted that there are only 35 Edition 1 AMG GTS’s in the UK.
To me the aero kit looks great with the fixed rear wing making the car look more aggressive than the standard flip up spoiler. The interior looks amazing too with race seats with their red accents, the red seatbelts and black centre console.
So now I need to try and find and AMG GTS ‘Edition 1’. I preferable want a car with the AMG DYNAMIC PLUS package which includes dynamic engine and transmission mounts as well as a special set up in Race mode which increase both the maximum output and maximum torque across a wider engine speed range.Read more